Hi potential forever family,
My name is Remie and I am a loveable, 65 lb female tripod German shepherd. Yes, I said TRIPOD. I only have 3 legs – 2 front legs and one back leg . No one knows what happened to me. I was found in Kentucky as a stray and was taken to a shelter there. PAWS swooped me up and brought me to Ohio to find my forever home. Don’t feel sorry for me, I get around just fine. When I run full speed, I look like any other dog with 4 legs. When walking, I have a little hop to my step, but it doesn’t seem to bother me at all. The vet that I saw thinks I am about 2 -3 years young.
Some great facts to know about me:
- I love riding in the car, I either look out the window or will settle down nicely in the seat and sleep
- My foster mom thinks I must have had a loving family at some time-I already knew sit and stay and knew how to take treats very gently before I even came to Ohio. (I also understand that the one place on the couch that I am allowed to get on is where my blanket is).
- I am a quick learner and am very treat motivated!!
- I like to play with toys, especially squeaky ones.
- I love the outdoors and my favorite place to be is outside laying on the grass! I could spend hours outside just watching what is going on.
- Belly rubs and neck rubs are my absolute favorite and you might get a paw tap if you stop and I am not ready for you to.
- I get along well with other dogs and play nicely once a proper introduction has been made. (I have a shepherd brother and a yorkie sister at my foster mom’s home and we all get along great!)
- I am a little nervous around men at first and I may talk/whimp a little, but that can be fixed by walking up to me very slowly and talking to me very gently. Treats come in handy, even if I am really scared, those treats help me to know you are not going to hurt me. It may take a few times, but once I get to know who you are, I am fine with you.
- I am also good with kids. My foster mom has these little people around a lot that are 2, 4 and 6 years old and they are pretty crazy. It doesn’t bother me at all as long as they pet me. (I will be anyone’s friend if you do that).
- Oh, and by the way, I am housebroken.
My foster mom had the vet take an x-ray of my back leg. Everyone wanted to see how my back leg was holding up. The back leg is showing a little arthritis and a little dysplasia, but the vet did not think that it was bothering me much at all. They started giving me joint supplements. I also had a doggy orthopedic surgeon look at the x-ray and he thought the same thing but also added that it is likely my leg will get progressively worse and I may need a hip replacement in a few years. I am young, active and have a lot of love to give and a lot of life to live.
The ideal home for me would be one with a fenced in backyard that I can go out and lounge around in. I won’t make a great running partner or a real long walking partner if that is what you are looking for. Shorter walks are easier for me to do with my 3 legs. If you are looking for a loving, loyal companion for cuddling and shorter walks, I am your girl!